The Methodist Church in Mountain Home was established about 1873. By 1879 a two story building with a steeple had been erected at what is now 8th and Baker Streets. The second story was used by the local Masonic Lodge. In 1904 a tornado destroyed this building along with early church records.
In 1890 the Cumberland Presbyterian Church built a sanctuary on South Main Street. This became the meeting place for the Methodist congregation following the loss of their building in the 1904 storm. In 1924 the Methodist Church purchased this church and surrounding land for a sum of $1500. It served as the worship site until 1963.
In 1963 a new sanctuary was built at 330 South Main Street. The small white sanctuary was razed to make room for expansion. The church flourished here through the 1970’s. Remodeling took place to maximize space. By the late 80’s, church leadership and pastorate realized that the location could not accommodate needs of the growing congregation.
On December 4, 1988, United Methodists left the Main Street building and walked to a new Gothic style structure erected at the corner of Bucher and 6th Streets. Phase I of the First United Methodist Church was dedicated. It housed administrative offices, classrooms and the multi-purpose worship center which is now known as the Contemporary Worship Center or Fellowship Hall.
Phase II added a youth center and a wing for additional classrooms in 1991. Phase III featuring the narthex, parlor, choir room, and present sanctuary was completed in the year 2000. While many churches in the denomination were experiencing a decline in membership, First UMC of Mountain Home continued to grow at an exciting pace.
Ten years later, it was time once again to accommodate for this growth. On October 31. 2010, construction began on a new multi-purpose facility. The 16000 square-foot building, named the United Methodist Activity Center (UMAC) was designed to house children's and youth programs as well as provide fellowship and recreation space. The UMAC was completed in September of 2011.